Driving in the EU after Brexit

The Brexit transition period is fast approaching and we are awaiting to find out if the UK with be exiting the European Union with or without a deal? Either way if your business drives on the continent you need to make sure you are aware of what you need to do.

With effect from 11.00pm on the 31st December 2020, drivers will require a Green Card for driving in the European Union. It will be a legal requirement to carry a Green Card if driving in any EU country or Liechtenstein, Norway, Iceland, Switzerland, Serbia and Andorra.

What do you need to do now?

If you are planning on driving in the EU in the near future you will need to call or email us before your departure so we can arrange a Green Card. It can take insurers up to 7 days to create the Green Card document so please give ample time for this process.

What is a Green Card?

The Green Card has information about your vehicle such as its licence plate number and demonstrates that you have the necessary minimum motor insurance cover in place to be on the road. Drivers have to physically carry the Green Card (printed on green paper) with them. A separate Green Card will be required for all trailers, but please be aware that all commercial trailers of 750kg or over and any trailer of 3500kg or over, must be individually registered if being used outside of the UK. Please let us know the details of all trailers being used outside the UK

What information will the insurers need

Name & date of birth of all drivers, vehicle registration number & details, countries being visited & the dates of travel

Other useful links

Brexit Guide from Markel

GOV.UK – Brexit Transition

If you have any questions or need to arrange a Green card please contact us straight away.